Mushroom Permits

A Specialized Forest Products Harvesting Permit (also known as a Mushroom Permit) is required when picking mushrooms for commercial use.  

"Commercial use" is defined as picking any amount of mushrooms for profit; or picking more than 5 gallons of mushrooms for any reason - even on one's own land.

A permit is not required if picking less than 5 gallons of mushrooms strictly for personal use.

To obtain a permit, apply in person at the Goldendale Sheriff's Office:  Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, or the White Salmon Sheriff's Office (Pioneer Center):  Monday-Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (please note - an appointment is recommended for the White Salmon Office - call 509-493-1811).

Valid photo identification is required.  You must also present written permission from the landowner at the time of application.

There is no charge for the permit. 

For further information, please see the statutes regarding forest products HERE.

Commercial picking is not allowed on state-owned lands within Klickitat County.  For more information on harvesting mushrooms from state-owned lands, visit their web page on this topic HERE.

Special rules apply for picking mushrooms within the National Forest, and a Forest Service permit is required for both personal and commercial purposes.  More information can be found HERE.  

Please be cognizant of property boundaries and do not enter private property without permission.  Criminal trespass may result in citation and/or arrest.