- Prosecuting Attorney
- Elder Abuse Project
Elder Abuse Project
Elder & Vulnerable Adult Abuse
If you suspect that a crime against a vulnerable adult is occurring or has occurred, you should do two things:
- Report the crime to the police by calling 911.
- Report the crime to DSHS:
- Call 1 800-562-6078 if the crime occurred in an adult family home (AFH), assisted living facility (ALF), nursing home, or in a certified community residential (supported living) setting (CRS/SL).
- Call 1 866-221-4909 if the crime occurred anywhere besides an adult family home (AFH), assisted living facility (ALF), nursing home, or in a certified community residential (supported living) setting (CRS/SL).
In response to the rapidly increasing elderly population in Klickitat County, and to increases in crimes against vulnerable adults, our office is in the process of creating a program targeted to address the special circumstances inherent in these cases. Our Elder Abuse program hopes to address the abuse of vulnerable adults, a population that includes disabled adults as well as the elderly. Our goals are three-fold:
- To prosecute cases of neglect, financial exploitation and sexual assault of the elderly and disabled;
- To work collaboratively with police, social service agencies, and medical professionals to improve the referral, investigation, and, ultimately, prosecution of cases of abuse and neglect of vulnerable adults
- To provide training to first responders so they can better recognize and react to such cases.